Sunday, 10 April 2011

Chiang Mai, Mekong River and Luang Prabang

We flew from Phuket Town to Chiang Mai which is situated in the north of Thailand. The old city of Chiang Mai is surrounded by a moat and a mediaeval style wall built seven hundred years ago. We spent five nights here exploring the city on bike, elephant trekking and learning to cook, Thai style!


Bhuddist figures inside a Chiang Mai temple.

A young girl from the Karen hilltribe.

Although you can't see it, that's Stephie and I on an elephant...honest!

Stephie making spring rolls.

The finished product...although these are the ones I made!

From Chiang Mai we were packed like sardines into a mini-van and transported the five hours to Chiang Kong on the Thai-Laos border. We stayed here overnight before being ferried across the mighty Mekong River to Huay Xai in Laos.

After completing the formalities of obtaining a Visa we boarded a ‘slow boat’ which would transport us over two days down the Mekong, via the small village of Pak Beng, to UNESCO protected Luang Prabang.


Slow boats on the Mekong.

Luang Prabang was very much our kind of place. We hired bikes and cycled along the Mekong, explored the numerous Buddhist temples, strolled through the colourful night market, and watched the amazing sight of monks taking almes at 6am.


Riding a bike in Luang Prabang.

Monks taking almes in Luang Prabang.

After the mini-bus fiasco, we opted to travel to Vang Vieng in central Laos by V.I.P bus. However despite the large yellow letters emblazoned on the upper deck’s front window stating the bus to be V.I.P, this was in no way reflected in the level of comfort or condition of the bus. We spent a torturous 6 hours twisting and turning around hairpin bends, looking down on sheer drops and holding on for dear life as we hurtled toward Vang Vieng.

5 comments:

lindsayrue said...

Loving the bike you hired, it's similar to nans!!
What was the elephant ride like? Glad your having a good time, I look forward to a cookery lesson upon your return!! Lots of love n hugs
Linz, Dave & Jude xxx

Lee said...

Hey Luce, Good to hear from you. I hope all’s well?! The elephant ride was a fantastic experience, not the most comfortable of rides but a magnificent animal to be so close to. We really enjoyed the cooking lesson and I’ll be more than happy to knock you up some spring rolls or Pad Thai on my return. Have you any plans yet for our birthday?

Stephen Pond said...

Looks like you're still having a blast mate. Just had a good catch up on your travels. All the best, Pondy.

Lee said...

Hello Pondy, Good to hear from you pal. Hope all's well with you. Yeah I'm having a ball here in Southeast Asia. Not long now and I'll be back home. Keep in touch!

lindsayrue said...

Only plans are to maybe go out for lunch somewhere as Dave has some time off work. Plus mum is coming over the following weekend so if the weather stays good then maybe a bar b q??? Will miss you, only the 2nd one we haven't been together for, not bad eh!!!
I will give Mum the card Jude has made for you!!!
Have a good one, will try and skype you anyway
Lots of love

Linz, Dave and Jude xxxxxxxxx