It’s remoteness, the fact that nobody knows for sure why the Moai, huge monolithic human figures carved from rock were erected and then subsequently toppled, all add to the islands mystery and maybe goes someway to explaining why I loved it so much.
Ahu Tongariki, the largest on Easter Island with fifteen Moai was one of my favourite locations. The site was restored in the 1990s after the Moai were first toppled and then washed further inshore by a 1960s tidal wave.
Rano Raraku, the quarry from where the majority of the Moai were carved and transported is a truly astonishing site and another of my favourites. 397 Moai remain strewn across the mountainside in various stages of completion, some awaiting transportation to their final destination whilst others are still attached to the rock from which they were carved.
The island is a difficult and expensive place to get to and extremely expensive once there. I stayed for seven nights which truth be told was a couple too long. However, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend a visit to the island to anyone.
Easter Island, with the exception of another couple of days in Santiago marks the end of the South American leg of my travels. I have visited some truly amazing places, witnessed some remarkable sights and met some really great people. And although I didn’t visit all the places I hoped to when I set out, the last three months have been unforgettable.










8 comments:
Hi Lee
yet again some amazing photos and history lesson to. So glad you have enjoyed yourself and met alot of nice friendly people, we new you wouldnt be on your own for long. Nan said she is very proud of you and loves you to bits.
Take care love you lots
Auntie Coral and Nannan xx :)
Proud? Thanks Nan! :O) Hope you guys are OK. Speak to you soon. x
Hey bro,
the pictures you have taken are breath taking I particularly love the Sunset at Ahu Tahai what an awesome sight!
I would love to visit South America after seeing the photos from your travels, will have to add it to my wish list!
Everyone here is fine, I have 4 weeks to go at work. Speak to you soon, love and miss you lots
Linz, Dave and Joey xxxxxxxxxxxx
Loving the pictures Mon Ami, what an experience it must be! The kids are loving the Moai and are at this precise moment running around the house quoting the Moai in the film 'Night at the Museum' - If you have seen it you will realize that you have a lot to answer for.....Thanks!
Was speaking to Sav Dog in the week and I believe he is heading out to Australia Dec 20, and said he will be in touch soon with regard to meeting for the cricket.
Looking forward to the next installment.
Take it easy pal, safe travels.
Steve, Nic, Ben & Rhodri!
PS. Just in case you haven't heard - try to avoid them big Quantas A380's - Their Rolls Royce engines are knackered!
Mon Ami,
Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you guys.
Ha ha! Yeah I'm familiar with the chewing gum eating Moai. I didn't come across any on the island though.
Really looking forward to Christmas in Aus and the cricket of course.
Speak soon pal,
Lee
P.S. Say hi to Nic for me! :O)
Good morning son,
thank you for email this morning - now just enjoy New Zealand!!!! Loving the Moai:0) what a really special sights you have seen. Glad you managed to get through "border control" with your stick of, Auntie June will be very pleased:) Will try and arrange skype date and time soon take good care and drive safely love you very much mum...x
Hey Lee
just catching up on your blog. Loving your pictures especially Inca trail pics of Machu Picchu & Easter Island ones of the Moai spread across the mountainside (surreal!) & the engravings of the birds in the rocks (small pics dont do them justice). Looks like your having a great time. Have a lovely time in NZ, keep the pics coming.
Take care lovelies
Teresa x
Hey T, Great to hear from you, thanks for the comment. Hope all is well with you. Have a cuppa for me! Speak soon lovelies! x
Post a Comment