From here I continued my journey south to Rotorua aka ‘Sulphur City’ on account of the sulphur-rich air. The city is best known for its geothermal activity, and features geysers and hot mud pools.
I paid a visit to Te Puia - the Māori Arts & Crafts Institute where I watched a traditional Maori cultural performance which included a scary-assed haka.


Whilst in town I visited the Polynesian Spa and soaked in hot mineral bathing pools which ranged in temperature from 36ºC to 43ºC and overlooked the shores of Sulphur Bay, Lake Rotorua – bliss!
I left Rotorua and continued south along the Thermal Explorer Highway to Taupo, a small town on the shores of Lake Taupo, the largest lake in New Zealand. My arrival in Taupo coincided with the start of the first Ashes test in Brisbane and so for the next few days, aside from a brief visit to Napier, Art Deco capital on account of pretty much the whole city being rebuilt following a 1931 earthquake, I did little else other than watch the cricket.
From Taupo I headed south along State Highway 1 and the picturesque Desert Road. Around five-and-a-half hours later I arrived in the country’s capital of Wellington from where I would take the Interislander Ferry to Picton at the northern tip of the southern island.





2 comments:
Morning Lee, I think I like the look of NZ. Would really have loved to have been there when you were watching the Haka!! all those bare chested men would have made my day:0) Enjoyed our chat on Sunday you look really well, enjoy South Island, not long to Fiji. Sending you lots of love and big hugs from Mum:0) xxxxxxxxx
Hey Mate,
Glad you are having a good time in NZ, the weather certainly looks a lot warmer than here. It is now snowing again for the 4th day! What I wouldn't do to go in pools with those kind of temperatures!
Good to speak to you last weekend, hope the drive south was not too bad??
Speak soon, lots of love
Linz, Dave & Joey
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment