Following the Inca Trail I stayed in Cuzco for a couple of days before catching an overnight bus to the city of Arequipa in southern Peru.
Arequipa is nicknamed La Ciudad Blanca ("The White City") on account of its many white building made from sillar, a pearly white volcanic rock. I spent a couple of days here before flying the 1,931 Km (1,200 miles) to Santiago, Chile.
Santiago, also known as Santiago de Chile is the capital and largest city of Chile. I was staying at La Chimba Hostel located in the Bellavista area of the city. I had no plans other than to just chill out and explore the city in the five days I had prior to flying to Easter Island (Rapa Nui) on Wednesday, November 3, 2010.
After a few days in Santiago I caught a bus and travelled the 120km (72 miles) west to the seaport city of Valparaiso, a World Heritage Site since 2003.
In the 19th century Valparaiso was Chile’s main port before the building of the Panama Canal. I spent a couple of days walking through the hillside neighbourhoods filled with brightly coloured corrugated iron clad houses and took in the spectacular views of the port below before returning to Santiago for my flight to Easter Island.






6 comments:
Hey mate,
Have a fabulous time at Easter Island and will catch up when you have chance. You can skype me at home now!!!!
Take care, lots of love
Linz, Dave & Joey xxxxxxxx
Hey Lee,
Nice photos of the Inca Trail. You'll be happy to know that my stick arrived home safely, I hope the same can be said for yours. She was looking a little brittle at the end. I hope the knee is better and that you enjoy the rest of your travels.
Ian
Hey Ian, Good to hear from you. Glad you and your stick made it back to Canada. I had a little trouble getting mine out of Peru thanks to the drugs dog at Arequipa airport. It's still with me though...well for now anyway. I'll keep you posted!
Hey Lee,
Love the photo of the fish ;) And the view of Santiago is amazing. Sounds like your still having an amazing time, Im really looking forward to seeing more shots of Easter Island. You seem to be really loving it there.
35 Sleeps till Fiji! Yipee!
Enjoy every last minute of South America, and have fun exploring New Zealand. See you under the palm trees very soon.
Stephie,
xoxoxox
Hi Lee
Just caught up with your blog - after ignoring it for the last month (sorry - bit focused on trying to get my business with WPA off the ground!). What a great time you're having though - stunning photos - definitely need to do a book when you're back. p.s. just in case you're not aware, The Mighty Rams are up into 4th position, only 5 points off 2nd place while Leicester are only 4 points above the relegation zone. Happy Days.
Mark (& DRS)
I have some altitude tablets left if you need me to send you some Sheepshag. Your current position is a temporary blip! As sure as night follows day you'll soon be back in the lower reaches of the division. Ha ha! Hope you are OK buddy. Love to you all. x
Post a Comment