After being founded in the 14th century by a Hindu prince it was subsequently conquered by the Portugese in 1511, the Dutch in 1641 and then finally the British (booyah!) in 1795.
I met a giant of a man called Peter from Hampshire on the bus journey north and we ended up staying in the same hostel. I forget the hostel's name but it was basically one huge dorm, similar in looks to that of an old hospital ward, complete with mosquitoes and bed bugs all for the bargain price of just fifteen ringgits (approx £3) per night.
I spent the next few days exploring historic Melaka, eating amazing hawker food like Chicken Rice Balls, drinking delicious Mango Julius (a kind of milkshake) in the Voyage Travellers Lounge and listening to the legend that is ‘Burns’, a local acoustic muscician.
From Melaka Peter and I headed north by bus to Malaysia’s capital city, Kuala Lumpur (KL) approx four hours away. It was here that I met up with my friend Stephie from Melbourne in Australia with whom I will travel with for the next couple of months around South East Asia.
Our hostel in KL was called the Reggae Guest House and was smack bang in the heart of Chinatown. We enjoyed exploring Chinatown’s markets and eating delicious hawker food such as Claypot chicken rice and Singapore Noodles. We explored Little India and feasted on Naan bread and curry for seventeen ringgits! Unbelievably good value.
We stood in awe as we looked up at the Petronas Twin Towers, the tallest twin buildings in the world and got a spectacular 360 degree view of KL from the nearby Menara KL aka Kuala Lumpur tower.






1 comment:
I love it:) I think that Asia is most definitely my kind of place. Stunning scenery and architecture,food and residents in caves!!!!!
Yet again something to talk about when you get home - hope you have now found a hostel without long standing occupation. So glad you are both enjoying your time together.
The wallpaper in Melbourne looks absolutely fabulous well done you another string to your bow:)...x
Take care of yourselves love and hugs mum...x
x xxxx xxx
Post a Comment