Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Singapore

Hot, humid and expensive. I arrived on the island country of Singapore after a five-and-a-half hour flight from Perth in Western Australia.

Initially I wasn’t too enamoured with Singapore. The heat and humidity was overwhelming, just walking around was hard going. However, over the next few days as I slowly acclimatised and explored the different areas of the city, I began to enjoy myself more and more.


Temple detail in Little India..

Souvenirs for sale in Chinatown.

Enjoying my $11 Singapore Sling at Clarke Quay.

Sure it’s expensive, but if you eat in the hawker markets, of which there are plenty, you can get a plate full of food for on average $5 Singapore, roughly around £2.50 and getting around the place is a breeze due to the excellent MRT system. There’s some impressive architecture, new and old, it’s clean, tidy and the people are on the whole very friendly.


The durian (it's a fruit) inspired roof of the Concert Hall.

Temple detail in Chinatown.

The Marina Sands Bay Hotel with the ArtScicence Museum in the foreground (l).

Playing checkers in Chinatown.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'hanging the washing out'.

I leave Singapore today and head north, crossing the border into Malaysia. My destination is a place called Melaka on the Malay Peninsula’s west coast.

7 comments:

coral said...

Hi Lee
Nice to see you are enjoying yourself, the photo's are very good yet again.
Lots of hugs and kisses from coral & nan xx :)

Kelly said...

Hi Lee

Glad to see you are still enjoying your trip, you look really well in your photo with your very expensive singapore sling, Please be safe when you are out and about all these natural disasters happening. We are missing you loads, can't wait to have you back at Nans on a friday afternoon, Daisy has grown loads and she is speaking very well, she is now a playschool girl on a thursday morning, we are still having a few teething problems but she is getting better. She loves Jude to bits and they are going to be right little devils soon. take care honey

Kelly, Daisy and Ady
XXXXXXX

Lee said...

Hey Kelly, Really good to hear from you. I'm good thank you. I'm slowly being eaten alive by a combination of mosquitoes and bed bugs from sleeping in shitty hostel beds but I can't complain, especially given what has just happened in Japan and in Christchurch last month. Tell Daisy I said hi, I can’t wait to get home and see how much she’s changed. Take care and I’ll see you soon.

Mum said...

Love you and miss you - please be careful and take care of yourself and Stephanie...x looking forward to having you home, not long now - more photographs please!!!!!!
Mum...x

lindsayrue said...

Hey mate,
Glad to hear you're still having a good time and enjoying Singapore. Sorry to hear that you're being bitten by bugs, you must have tasty blood!!! I keep showing the blog to Jude and explaining that he will meet his uncle Lee soon, I think he has taken it all in!!!!
Looking forward to speaking to you soon, lots of love
Linz, Dave and Jude xxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Hey Lee
I think you need to come back to Melbourne and make us some of those spring rolls...You must be over the tummy bug to have gone tubing (and drinking), you are now most likely sore! Great pictures, we are enjoyng the journey! oh to be young again...:)
take care BOTH of you (such a Mum thing to say!!)
lots of love
Janet

Lee said...

Hello Shaker 5! Good to hear from you. I'm feeling much better now thank you or I was until I foolishly decided to throw myself off 'that' water slide. The springs rolls were very tasty. I'm sure a woman of your culinary talents wouldn't have too much trouble knocking up a batch for Mr Rick and co. x