La Paz is situated in a valley at an altitude of 3660m above sea with the looming Mt Illamani in the background. The airport is located around 10km out of town and so on arriving at El Alto Airport I jumped in a cab and headed for the city.
The Lonely Planet says ‘The first glimpse of La Paz will, literally, take your breath away’. And that it did. The city’s buildings cling to the sides of the valley and tumble downwards, not dissimilar to the views I encountered in the Rochina Favela in Rio de Janeiro, only on a much larger scale. After stopping for a quick photo we continued on to the hostel.
I was staying at the Hostel Maya which is located on the main tourist street of Sagárnaga near to Plaza San Francisco. In hindsight it wasn’t the best choice as the road has a steep incline, far from ideal when you’re struggling with the altitude. However, on the plus side the hostel was ideally located to explore the nearby Mercado de Hechicería (Witches’ Market).
Along with the usual fruit and vegetables, you can purchase more specialised items such as dried llama foetuses. Apparently you bury it under the porch of your new home to bring luck and good fortune. The market and surrounding streets are great for people watching and taking pictures, I could easily have spent a couple of days there alone just walking around.

I took an evening bus and crossed the border into Peru arriving in Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca around 22:00hrs.






7 comments:
I love the Bombims. They're class. I take it you didn't make it to San Pedro prison for a tour. It's going to be featured in the Marching Powder film about British smuggler, Thomas McFaddden's incarceration there. Should be interesting.
Good evening mon ami!
Although I haven't checked in for a while, I have been regularly looking at your updates and enjoying - The landscapes and your experiences look amazing mate and I hope you're still enjoying.....It certainly looks like you are.
When are you going to easter island, machu picchu an more imporantly Australia (Ashes starts in six weeks so I heard today)? I guess its soon as you are heading in that direction.
Loving you're blog - Take it easy amigo and do me favour come back soon!
Chatts.
PS. I've put it off for long enough, I have to go into the lounge with the mrs to watch the dog whisperer. She wants us to be prepared for when we get one for the kids!
Welcome back Mr Chatterley! I´m having a ball pal. I head to Cusco on an overnight bus tonight (Fri) and start the Inca Trail on Sun/Mon. I head to Easter Island around Oct 27 I think and then I hit Aus and The Ashes on Dec 19. Enjoy the Dog Whisperer! Take care Mon Ami!
Alas Top 10 time is against me. I start the Inca Trail this coming weekend and so I´m hotfooting it to Cusco! Far from ideal I know. San Pedro will have to wait for another time. I guy I met in Mendoza told me about the ´unofficial tour´ you can take and it sounds pretty nuts.
Hey bro,
good to speak to you yesterday, loving the new haircut!!
Have a fabulous trip doing the Inca Trail, I'm sure there will be another picture to hang on the wall in my house!
Love the pic of the little lad, especially the knee patches!
Take care and speak to you soon
Lots of love
Linz, Dave and Joey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Lee!
This is my first post on your blog - about time I did!Although I have already praised you on it via email!Keep up the good work!
Enjoy the Inca Trail. If you had done it last wk you might have seen Fearne Cotton and a few other 'celebs' who did it for charity!I have heard the altitude can affect some people so I hope it goes ok!
Take care!!
KTxxx
Hi son, am loving these new photographs, the hats are super but not sure that I would suit one!!!!! Everything looks so colourful. It was really nice to skype on Saturday you look well if a little tired!! Have a great time doing the Inca Trail and make sure you keep taking the tablets. Speak to you next weekend lots of love and big hugs from mum...x
Post a Comment