Monday, 11 October 2010

Tupiza and Salar de Uyuni

Tupiza is located around two-and-a-half hours north of the border with Argentina at an altitude of 2950m above sea level.

In 1908 after robbing an Aramayo Payroll at Huaca Huanusca, 40km or so north of Tupiza, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid reputedly met their makers in the nearby mining village of San Vicente. Unfortunately what I didn’t find out until I’d left Tupiza is that you can actually go and visit the village of San Vicente and the graveyard where they are both buried.

My intention was to spend the night in Tupiza before heading north to Uyuni and a tour to the Salar de Uyuni (salt flats). However, on discovering the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid connection I was keen to throw my leg over a horse, and so without a second thought booked three hours riding in the hills surrounding Tupiza for the following day (Tuesday).

I’m not going to go into any further detail regarding my horse riding experience in Tupiza. Suffice to say it wasn’t the most enjoyable three hours of my life. And yes, before you ask there are pictures but they will never see the light of day!

I arrived back in Tupiza and after talking to a few people decided to do the four day tour of the Salar de Uyuni which took in a number of other sights on route before finishing up in Uyuni.

The tour companies running excursions to the Salar de Uyuni charge depending on the number of people in the jeep, the more that go the less you pay, up to a maximum of five tourists with a driver and cook.

In the end there were five of us, Leigh from Melbourne, Gary from London, two French guys from Leon both called Julien and me. Our guide/driver’s name was Dionicio and our cook was his daughter, her name was Villma. In the end I paid $800 Bolivianos (approx £80) which for a four day tour that included transport, a guide, meals and accommodation I thought offered good value.


L-R Julien, Julien, Villma, Dionicio, myself, Leigh and Gary.

We departed Tupiza around 9am on Wednesday, October 6. Our transport for the duration of the trip was a battered old Toyota 4x4 Land Cruiser.

We saw so many amazing and varied sights on our four day tour to the Salar de Uyuni. For me to give a day to day account of what we did and saw would result in a very lengthy post. So if it’s OK with you I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.


Three young girls we met at a small mining village on the first day.

Geysers.

Eating dinner at Hosta Hualla Jara on our second night - freezing!

Laguna Colorada - the colour is due to the algae in the water.

Coloured Mountains.

Siloli rock.

Flamingos.

Another tour group make their way through the amazing landscape.

Accomodation at Puerto Chuvica where everything was made of salt - even the beds!

View of Salar de Yuni from Incahuasi Island.

The Salar de Yuni - Amazing!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lee,
Great pics again pal. The salt falts certainly are amazing, sounds like you're having a excellent time. Where you off to next? I've been in Delhi now for a couple of weeks, enjoying India if a little chaotic! I noticed you hadn't given us any updates for a while, I just presumed you had hung up the camera for life as a cowboy...
Cheers, Pondy.

mum said...

Hello lovely:0)
Am absolutely loving the new photographs, beautiful colours and scenery. You look really well, even though I know that you have been a bit pooorly! People at work are glued to your blog we try and have an update at least once a week. Learning a lot through your editorial bits. Shame about Butch and Sun dance! please please put at least one photograph of you on the horse on your blog...x Keep on enjoying and take it easy on the Inca Trail. Sending you lots of love and big hugs, miss you heaps love from Mum...x
X XXXX XXX

Lee said...

Hey Pondy, Delhi hey? I presume you´re covering the Commonwealth Games? As I´m sure you remember the internet is pretty sketchy in Bolivia hence the lack of updates. Not sure I´m cut out for the life of a cowboy to be honest with you, definitely not the horse part anyway. I´m in Sucre right now, heading to La Paz then Puno and Cuzco for the trail. Spent way too much time in Argentina so I´m having to rush a little bit which isn´t good. Hope you are well. Enjoy Delhi pal!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee,

Love catching up with your journey and I feel as though I'm learning so much, the photos just get better and better - can't believe the all that salt! Shame we didn't get to see your cowboy photos - bet they were pretty impressive!
Can't wait to hear all about the Inca Trail, enjoy it and take care. Keep it coming we are all hooked.
Nellie

Lee said...

Hey Nellie, Thanks for your comments. I'm really looking forward to starting the trail this coming weekend. I'll be sure to keep you posted! x

Linz said...

Hey mate,
just noticed the dry snot on that girls face, they not heard of tissues???
L, D & J xxxxxxxxxxx