San Agustín de Valle Fértil is a small village four hours northeast of San Juan. I hadn’t booked any accommodation in advance and the Lonely Planet doesn’t list any for San Agustín so I was relieved upon my arrival to be greeted by a smiling guy called Pablo who ran Campo Base, a nearby hostel.
As I was soon to discover Pablo was quite a character. He had with him a sign with the words ‘Transfer Free’ emblazoned across it, so when I agreed to stay at Campo Base I was all set to be taken to a vehicle of some description and ferried to the hostel. In actual fact the free transfer constituted Pablo walking you from the bus terminal to the hostel on the other side of the village much to his amusement.
On arriving at the hostel I met the only other person staying there, Caroline from Le Havre in Normandy, France. She had arrived earlier that day and had already enquired about excursions to the nearby Parques Ischigualasto and Talampaya.
The local tour office had informed her that they wouldn’t take any less than four people to the park. It appeared as though we were the only two tourists staying in the village and would therefore have to wait for other people to arrive or find our own way there. However, Pablo arranged for Paulo, who lives opposite the hostel to drive us to the park for $100 Pesos apiece, around £16.
Parques Ischigualasto, more commonly referred to as Valle de La Luna (valley of the moon) is a desert valley where water and wind have exposed Triassic fossils, dinosaur bones - up to 180 million years old – and created spectacular shapes in the clay, sandstone and volcanic ash. A truly amazing experience and definitely one of the highlights of my trip so far!







3 comments:
morning lovely,
what can I say absolutely amazing!!!! Think Lindsay and Dave might like the one of the fox could be a companion... lovely to talk to you last night you look really well...x The colours of the rock are out of this world,it is a truly once in a lifetime experience and I am so glad that you are doing it. Love your blog, the photographs and the comments left by other people, but most of all love you and wish you well and happy travelling...x speak soon big hugs and kisses from mum:)...x
Hi Lee
we have just looked at your latest photos they are absolutely fantastic, nan is amazed at them and wishes she was with you. It was nice to talk to you yesterday you looked very well. We are loving your blog and the stories that you tell.
Take care and enjoy, love you lots Nan and Auntie coral xx
Hey mate, loving the new pics, the grey fox looks jut as scrawny as the one in our garden which I saw this morning! I had to wave a cane at it to go away as it was right behind me, frightened me a little if I am honest!!!
Think I have added a few more of your photos to my list to have on the walls, will let you know which ones!!!
Sven Goran Erikson has been linked wih the vacant managers post at Leicester, so far we are winning 1-0 at home to Scunthorpe, we'll see how it finishes off!!!
Speak to you soon mate
Love you lots
Linz, Dave and Joey xxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment