I arrived in the capital of Argentina around 10:00am on Sunday morning following an 18-hour bus journey from Puerto Iquazu. The bus journey itself was surprisingly good. Huge reclining chairs, food and alcohol all for $290 Pesos about £45.00.
By the time I’d made it to the hostel, checked in, showered and changed it was getting on for 1.30pm. I spoke to the guy on reception and asked what was good to do on a Sunday. He pointed me in the direction of San Telmo.
San Telmo is a maze of cobbled streets and ageing colonial buildings. I spent the remainder of the afternoon walking around the busy antique’s market and watching the various street performers.
After changing hostels I spent Monday afternoon exploring the area of La Boca and Caminito. La Boca is situated along the old port and was built by Italian immigrants from Genoa. Caminito is literally a few short streets lined with brightly coloured corrugated-metal buildings and full of tango dancers, artists and restaurants, oh and a Diego Maradonna look alike you can have your picture taken with.
The houses were built using discarded wood and corrugated iron and were elevated from the ground to avoid flooding. They were then painted in a patchwork quilt of colours using leftover paint from nearby shipyards.
On Tuesday I returned to La Boca to do a tour of Boca Juniors La Bombonera (the chocolate box) stadium. Arriving on a Sunday meant I’d missed their last home game with San Lorenzo which they lost 2-1. With their next home game not until September, 19 and with me leaving Buenos Aires on September, 12 a tour of their ground was the best I could hope for.
The stadium has a very unusual look to it and is quite small so I was surprised when our guide told us that the capacity is 49,000. The pitch is actually the minimum size required under FIFA regulations.
More to follow...




6 comments:
Lee,
Glad you're enjoying Buenos Aires. Quite possibly my favourite city in the world. Rebecca and I rented an apartment in San Telmo! Above Cafe Dorrego on Plaza Dorrego. The Godfather had scenes filmed in the cafe...enjoy yourself mate.
Pondy
Hello pal, Yeah it's a pretty awesome place. I'm staying on Avenida de Mayo, so it's pretty central. Thanks for the heads up about Cafe Dorrego, I’ll be sure to check it out. Hope all is well with you.
Hey mate,
shame you missed the last match but some more good sights to take in.
Keep enjoying, the bus ride did not sound too unpleasant and for £45 a bargain!!
Keep enjoying and updating us!
Lots of love
Linz
xxx
P.S As I am writing this Joey is kicking away!!! xx
Hey Linz, Good to hear from you. Having a great time in BA. I hope Joey's not making things too uncomfortable for you. Love to you all. Keep in touch! x
Bonjour Mon Ami.
Hope all is going well - It certainly looks like it from what i'm seeing and reading.
The falls look amazing and I envy your trip to the chocolate box, bet it was a great experience, shame you missed their fixture.
Keep the info coming pal, and enjoy every minute of it.
Take it easy and keep right on Amigo.
Chatts.
PS. If you see that dirty stinking Argie Maradona or a lookalike, give him the Loughborough kiss for me. Also Villa have Houllier as their new manager....backward step or what!!!!
oh and Blues also completed a years loan signing of Alexander Hleb from Barcelona....whats going on....he could have gone to Benfica, Spurs or Liverpool - He must have taste. Cmon you Blues!
Mon Ami!, How you doing pal? Enjoying BA. I head down to Ushuaia on Sunday which I'm really looking forward too. Not sure about Houllier. Seems a bit of an odd choice to me. What does the ponytail sporting, eye brow piercing, pink shirt wearing Ed think?! Tell him I said hi! Good news about Hleb! Anyhoot I'll be sure to keep you posted. Tell everyone I said hi! My regards to Mrs Chatterley. Take care pal.
Post a Comment