I left Ushuaia in Argentina around 6am on Wednesday morning. 16 hours, three buses and a ferry crossing later I’d arrived in Puerto Natales, Chilean Patagonia.
![]() |
| The ferry across the Strait of Magellan. |
The reason for my stay in Puerto Natales is its proximity to the Torres del Paine National Park, as it’s not really a destination in itself. It’s possible to stay in the park at one of the hotels, hosterias, refugios or by camping but as I’m staying for just a couple of days I chose to stay in Puerto Natales.
![]() |
| The Chilean flag aka the lone star. |
I’d booked two nights at the Hostel Natales which is described on Hostel World as more like a guest house than hostel. I used the hostel computer in Ushuaia to make the booking. As soon as I’d confirmed my reservation I realised the date on the PC was wrong. I’d therefore booked two nights from Thursday, September 16 and not Wednesday, September 15 which was when I was arriving in Peurto Natales. What a nugget!
On arriving at the hostel I explained my predicament but I need not have worried as there was absolutely nobody staying there! They gave me a double en-suite room for the price of an 8 bed mixed dorm - result! Apparently there’s a group booking arriving here on Friday so the entire hostel is booked out. I’ve no idea how I managed to make a reservation in the first place.
After having had the best night’s sleep since leaving home my plan for the day was to organise a trip to Torres del Paine National Park. I’d bought some warm weather gear with me but after stepping outside the hostel I soon realised I was ill equipped. Ushuaia was cold but this was something else. After a quick detour into Peurto Natales’ equivalent of Blacks I’d purchased some very fetching long johns and a new hat or ‘gorro’ as they say here.
![]() |
| How special do I look?! |
I booked my excursion to Torres del Paine National Park, visited the local supermarket then spent the next couple of hours looking around Peurto Natales, but to be honest there isn't a great deal to see.
![]() |
| Socks hanging in a window - go figure?! |
![]() |
| What remains of the Braun & Blanchard Wharf built around 1910. |





4 comments:
Morning lovely:) just wanted to say that I am loving these new photographs am just wondering where on the wall I can fit them when you come home:)Am liking the hat think you should grow your hair and have pigtails, suits you...x When I opened the one of the bbq I was already to cut my roll and get the brown sauce out:)Hope you are keeping warm and that your "fetching" long johns are doing their job! all ok here love and miss you very much Happy Trekking love and bg hugs from mum...x
X XXXX XXX
Morning Lee:)
We hope you have got over your man flu now and are keeping warm. Love the picture of the wharf it reminds me of mablethorpe. Your hat looks really cool hope it keeps your ears warm. We are following your every move and are loving your pictures. Take care and keep warm. Love and kisses from me and nan xx :)
Hey mate,
That hat is quality, bet you daren't wear that when you return!!
Villa have drawn 1-1 with Bolton and Leicester have lost 2-0 to QPR, we are woeful at the minute but QPR are top and haven't lost a game!
Getting that room was a result, glad you were able to catch up on some sleep and are feeling much better.
Have ordered a laptop so once in my possession will skype!
Take care mate, just counting how many pics I want currrently for the house, keep them coming!!
Love you lots
Linz, Dave and Baby Joey xxxxxxxx
Thanks for all your comments. Glad to hear you are all OK. Missing you guys too! Speak soon! x
Post a Comment