I was staying at the Hostel Inn where I was sharing a four bed dorm with a Columbian called Juan, an Israeli called Ori and an American called Tony. The hostel is situated on a hill with fantastic views of Lago Nahuel Huapi.
![]() |
| The view of Lago Nahuel Huapi from the sundeck of the Hostel Inn. |
On Wednesday I rented a mountain bike and along with Tony cycled the 26 km around Lake Perito Moreno.
![]() |
| Lake Perito Moreno. |
On route we visited Colonia Suiza which is a small village populated by Swiss immigrants. We stopped there for lunch and had a very tasty kind of vegetable strudel and trout empanadas, which are similar to Cornish Pasties only smaller.
![]() |
| Vegetable strudel. |
After lunch we continued on to Punto Panoramico which was the highest point in altitude on the route and offered fantastic views of the surrounding lakes. Here we met two Argentinian girls called Sophia and Florencia.

Due to time our last stop on the circuit was at Lago Escondido where we walked along the short path from the main road to the lake with its small harbour.
![]() |
| Lago Escondido. |
We arrived back at the bike rental place and after checking in our bikes sat and drank matte, a traditional Argentinian infused drink, with our new friends, although I don’t really care for it as it has quite a bitter taste. We then hitched a ride back to Bariloche in the back of a van.
![]() |
| L-R Myself with Sophia, Tony and Florencia. |
After dinner, which is free at this hostel, I headed out for a few beers with Tony and another American guy called Jack. We weren’t out for long though as it was pretty dead and I was off Kayaking in the morning.
![]() |
| Having a beer with Jack and Tony. |
I was picked up on Thursday morning from the hostel by Pablo, our guide for the day, and along with two Argentinians called Andrea and Arturo headed to Lago Gutierrez, a fifteen or so minute drive from Bariloche.
We arrived at the lake and were kitted out with the necessary apparel. Following a short briefing on the dos and don’ts of kayaking we climbed into our kayaks and set off. They were two-seater kayaks and I was paired with Arturo.
![]() |
| On the shores of Lago Gutierrez with Andrea and Arturo. |

We paddled for approximately 3km along the western edge of the lake to a small shingle beach where we stopped for matte and medialunas; they’re similar to croissants only sweeter. After a half-an-hour or so break we swapped positions in the kayak and headed back to base along the same route.

On the way back to the hostel we stopped at a roadside eatery for choripan, sausage made out of beef and pork, hot off the grill, split down the middle, and served on a roll. It’s basically a sausage cob, roll or bap, depending on which part of England you’re from, and tasted absolutely amazing!
I leave Bariloche and head north to Mendoza (wine country) this afternoon. Another long bus journey lies ahead; hopefully this one will be a little less eventful than the last!







14 comments:
Hey mate,
I take it you didn't fall out the kayak then? Pictures are great mate, I bet that was amazing with that backdrop as you went past.
Get some sleep on the bus and I hope everyone stays inside safe and sound this time!!!
Lots of love
Linz, Dave and Baby Joey xxxxx
Bon-soir mon ami.
Loving the adventure, blue icebergs and whisky by the lake.
Keep it coming pal - I look forward to the next update.
Take it easy amigo.
Chatts
morning Lee just had another look at your photographs, absolutely beautiful landscape and am also liking the look of Arturo!!! looks like he could be my type of guy:))) Yet again more amazing food, good job you keep going on your bike rides! take it easy in the wine country. I do hope that your bus journey was less eventful. Look forward to the next installment will email you later, all here send big hugs and kisses to you miss you loads, love you from mum..x
X XXXX XXX
Enjoying your escapades mate...you doing the seven lakes bike ride? Bet you're missing cold midweek footy!
Pondy.
Hey Pondy, to be honest I am, well maybe just a little. My arse was sore after the 26km so I dread to think what it would be like after doing the whole seven lakes! I'm in Mendoza now. I do the Inca trail on Oct 17 and there's still a lot I want to see before then. I'm heading to San Juan next. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well back in Blighty.
Mendoza, bet you've got the taste for Malbec then! Salta in the north is a nice city if you get the chance.
Keep the posts coming, great pictures!
Also once you get to Cusco, eat at Fallen Angel if you can. It's the best steak I have ever had!
Cheers,
Pondy
Heading out now so I'll be sure to give the Malbec a go. Heading to San Juan and then Salta I think. Thanks for the tips! Feel free to keep them coming!
Loving the Blog Lee! The pics are great and it looks like you are having an amazing time. I'm very impressed with your blogging - it sounds very encyclopedia'esque'. News Team isn't the same without you :)
Hey Ash, Great to hear from you and thanks for the comments on my blog. How´re you doing? I´m missing you guys too but maybe not so much News Team. Keep in touch! :O) x
Hi Lee
Hope you are ok,the photos are great. Glad your bus ride was less eventful better than the last one. Take care love and kisses,
Nan and coral xx:)
hey Lee just showing Heather around your blog so hopefully in the next couple of days you will have a surprise message from her.... love you lots enjoy yourself love mum and Heather...x
Hey Lee
Apologises for not emailing for an age.
Needn't ask how things are going as it looks like your having a fanastic time. The photos of where you have been are fantastic, every picture tells a story indeed. It's been good to read what adventures you've been on. Carry on having fun. Regards Boogie and family. P.S. City are bottom of the championship
Hello pal, Thanks for your message. Having the best time. Seeing some truly amazing sights. Hope you and the family are well. Keep in touch pal. In San Agustin at the minute. Went to the Parque Provincial Ischigualasto and the El Valle de La Luna (The Valley of the Moon) today. Absolutely awesome! Internet here not great. Heading to Salta next so will post some new pics when I get there. Speak soon.
Post a Comment